How might the Autodesk 3ds Max SDK/Scripting be improved?

Python

463 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
elTelT shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
julienchandellejulienchandelle shared a merged idea: A complete overhaul of 3ds Max in Python  ·   · 
chschs shared a merged idea: python  ·   · 
chschs shared a merged idea: python  ·   · 
leFayaleFaya shared a merged idea: python in 3dsmax  ·   · 

42 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • ThirstydevilThirstydevil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm a Maya TD with years of experience with python. I moved to softimage and started where I left off. Then moved to Max and Maxscript and feel like I've had my hands tied. All that language knowledge lost for a TD. To be able to write agnostic tools across multi platforms and deploy is a must. Python is everywhere now. Houdini, Nuke, Massive Pro, Maya, Softimage, Modo...

• Mambo4Mambo4 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a technical artist transitioning (painfully) from Maya to Max, I'd say that Python support will keep Max competitive. Max script is useful, but not extensible, and there is much it does poorly or not at all that python has already covered in its many modules. Plus python has become the de facto standard scripting language for technical artists in general.

• javabeansjavabeans commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Cpython integration rocks! Since Max and Maya as a product line,why not keep the scripting things consistency with each other?

• SebastienSebastien commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also lean more toward CPython. Though I probably could live with IronPython I guess.
    As long as it can be hooked to an external IDE (API inspection/completion etc...), which is what is annoying me with the Blur implementation despite its awesomeness.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Python support in 3ds Max, would make things really intresting. Developing tools with ease with support of the awesome already existing Python modules to make it even more powerfull. Imagine, creation of assets liberaries, submitters or extend with functionalities to get the best out of your reanderfarm. With no knowledge of C# and the horrible Max script, but just Python, it just works. I would love to see this feature in 2013 a.s.a.p.

• loocasloocas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

CPython, that is. IronPython just isn't good enough in the global-scale, long-term.

• kubikubi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, make python support in 3ds max as it is already in maya!

Thanks for your products!

• Christopher DigginsChristopher Diggins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to see this request broken up into two separate requests:

1) IronPython support
    2) CPython support

This way we can get a more empirical sense of how important CPython integration is to people over IronPython (which is massively easier to support).

I think the reference to Py3dsMax is not particularly relevant. It is only one of many possible approaches to supporting Python via CPython.

Note: for those interested in IronPython please take note of the new .NET SDK enhancements in the 3ds Max 2012 Subscription Advantage Pack (http://area.autodesk.com/blogs/chris/net_sdk_enhancements_in_the_3ds_max_2012_subscription_advantage_pack).

• JamesJames commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well, since Autodesk's other product Maya uses PyQt, I do hope that they care us enough to use a version of Python that also support the PyQt, so studios can spend time on just one single tool UI that would work for both Maya and Max.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base