General Feature Requests

PURPOSE
Please help us collect ideas for new features and general product enhancements.

Remember, if your idea is a small tweak or defaults change then please use either the Default Settings or Small Annoying Things forums.

What’s on your top ten list? Add a vote to any idea you also think is important!

HOW TO USE THE FORUM

• Each user has 20 votes for each forum
  • Each idea can have no more than 3 votes by a single user
  • If you enter an idea, it will cost you 1 vote – therefore try to make sure the idea doesn’t already exist
  • The more precise and detailed a description you give, the more likely your idea will be considered
  • When an idea is implemented (or declined), votes are returned to all the users that voted
  • Users can change their votes at any time
  • Admins can move, edit and delete ideas as they see fit to better meet the goals of the forum
  • We will flag ideas that are getting our attention as “under review”. Because of limits on what we can say publicly, that is as far as we can go with commenting on a particular idea. If it is “under review” it simply means we’re studying it for possible implementation or gathering data, but there is no commitment to do it.

Remember, we do not release versions on “internet time”. Unlike the web sites this was designed for, our process of releasing functionality is much longer term. So there won’t be a constant churn of ideas being “closed out” by us and votes returned to you. For this tool to map to our process, we will be looking at the data during a short period of the year (3-6 months) and deciding what actions to take after that. Don’t expect to post an idea and a month later for us to respond in some fashion to it. The most likely scenario is that you’ll post an idea and if a lot of other people vote on it, we’ll eventually flag it as “under review” – but that could be 9 months later or longer.

Please treat this as an experiment in working with the community. Even if Uservoice is not the final home for this, we’ll do our best to export all the ideas to whatever future system might take its place. Your voice will persist.

Note: It’s important to realize that these lists are simply raising the quality of the feedback we get from the community. They are not a replacement for how we define the features for any given release. They are valuable input, but beta input, product strategy, focus, innovation and other factors are also important aspects we consider.

BUGS
Please report them at http://www.autodesk.com/3dsmax-DefectSubmission

AVAILABLE PUBLIC FORUMS
Default Settings
Please tell us which user defaults settings you change the most! Enter a description of the default or ini setting and then see how the community votes on it. Remember these are only the user preferences you can either set in the interface or ini files.

General Feature Requests
Please help us collect ideas for new features and general product enhancements. What’s on your top ten list? Add a vote to any idea you also think is important!

Small Annoying Things
This forum is about all the little annoying quirks and problems in 3ds Max that you might have gotten used to over the years but that really should be fixed.
Remember, keep these ideas to tweaks of the workflow rather than large, sweeping changes to the tools. Try to imagine how much effort a programmer has to go into in order to implement your suggestion. Anything requiring major UI changes or new UI dialogs will need to go in another forum.

SDK/Scripting Enhancements
This forum is about improvements to the SDK or Script-related.

How can we improve Autodesk 3ds Max?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Finish Alembic Integration

It seems like there is a really nice start for Alembic integration in place, but development was halted halfway through. For alembic to be useable we need UVs and Material Ids on meshes with sub-object animation. As is, alembic can only be used for static objects animated by transform. Alembic needs support for "Point cache" objects - with SUB object animation. While this technically works in max, very few people write out point caches for objects, like characters, without Uvs and preferrably materials on the animated sub objects. The current integration is useless for 90% of uses (as there is…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 3dsmax Random-generate feature

I think it would be interesting for 3dsmax to have an auto generate or random generate feature. I think it would go well along side the "select and place" feature. This tool allows a person to choose to generate a model or selection of models with different positions, rotations, sizes, frequencies, and perhaps even arrays. I personally think using this feature with the "select and place" tool could be interesting for placing objects such as plants, shrubbery, and trees throughout a landscape scene.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  General UI, Usability, Gizmos  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Instant pivot reset calculation

I often model and have to reset the pivot location. Perhaps it's best to make the pivot location of an object dynamic as the model develops and as other objects are being attached and detached to the model. I also think this feature can be turned off if desired.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  General UI, Usability, Gizmos  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. More outrageous Ideas to add to 3dsmax

It's been a while since i added a list of new ideas, so here I go:

Scan-form modeling:
    Imagine a feature that uses a series of photos to create a model. The function could render the photos and try to make sense of any edges and generate them into 3d space.

Auto correction edge flow:
    Imagine a function that instantly corrects awkward geometry or edge flow by creating extra segments/ edges. For example: You have a model with tris, but don't want the hassle to turn it into quads. A person could select the tri and use the Auto correction…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Freeze viewport rotation

This idea isn't very relevant, but since I use shortcuts a lot, I thought maybe it would be a good idea to have an option that freezes the rotation in a viewport. I think it would help people who move around the viewport using the alt navigation shortcut from constantly readjusting rotation after accidentally pressing alt. For example, whenever working on a model and holding alt to work around 3D space and you accidentally press alt and move around in the wrong viewport, maybe there could be an option to which you can freeze the viewport rotation so that you…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Xray bones like Maya

Able to see bones through mesh like Maya.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Viewport  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Map similar to VRAY DISTANCE TEX

Please create a material/map that can calculate distance from edges so that when texturing roads, a dirt map can be applied that follows the outside edges only of the object. distance should be a setting 1ft 2ft etc... from edge and it would allow for using materials like blend or mix maps.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mental ray  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Orbiting camera -- should make sense - orbit the body instead of the frustrum or whatever it's doing

I cannot stand trying to orbit around a camera. I don't know what it uses as a center. I always use Orbit around Subobject and for everything BUT cameras it works perfectly. But cameras always choose some arbitrary point - probably the midpoint of Frustrum as the center. This is totally useless. Just orbit the camera body since that is what is selected and that is what is convenient.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Camera  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. MCG Support for editing normals

Possibility to override / cache previous normals to maintain them after deletion of faces.
    Right now, as I was informed, it is not possible in MCG due its limitations.
    Request is related to other posted on Area(http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/max-creation-graph-mcg/mcg-modifier-delete-faces-by-smoothing-group/td-p/5988105)

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Shape Map and Text Map -- should work like projections instead of being distorited by target object coordinates.

The new Shape and Text Map should work like projections... like the Shape Merge Compound object -- but with textures instead of geometry. The idea that they have to conform to the target object coordinates makes them inconvenient to use. They should be able to follow the existing coordinates and retain their shape and scaling... like a projection. The option to resize is fine -- but the default should be a straight 1 to 1 projection.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. snapping object topolocy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvsyIzBA1Po

ı think max need this modeling tool

please watch video 4.02-4.15 .. normally you can make this other ways in max but this is directly is good

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Modeling & Mapping (UVs)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Max 2016 Missing Layer Features Unhide/Hide & Freeze/Unfreeze

It appears the new way of handling layers is missing some previous features.
    Is there a new way of unhiding/hiding layers or freeze/unfreeze in one button click?

Clicking and shift clicking is a much slower process especially with large layer counts. i.e. Revit imported model with included layers.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Layers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add tags to objects to control visability and render settings

It would be useful to add tags to objects to allow all objects with the same tag to be controlled in the same we as all objects on a layer. This would allow objects to have multiple tags.

E.g
    You could have a tag named "view 01 only". Anything with this tag would only be rendered when you are rendering through camera one.

This is different to layers as objects could have multiple tags and therfore be visable in multiple views.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Layers  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Clone Compund Object

I would like to see a better clone tool implemented in Max. Im not really sure on how it should be done. A Compund Object or a modifier.

Im sort of leaning towards the compound object approach. So that it is its own object. That way you can add the objects you want to clone to that and keep it nice and separated.

Features would have to include offset, randomization, time offset, f-curve control on delays and cloning a clone etc.

Cheers!
    /Andreas

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Collapsable categories in the modifier list

The modifier list is getting mighty long, and now the MCGs in there, I mean Woh!

It would be nice to have collapsable categories to make it more readable and organised. Customizable too, to make your own categories to suit your needs.

Cheers!
    /Andreas

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Network Paths between multiple users

One of the biggest problems in sharing files with other users is having to always re-link bitmaps. For large libraries of textures and models it is not feasible to add networked user paths to the External Files dialogue as it can take a very long time to search through these directories for missing textures. If there was any way to maintain texture paths between different users and computers it would be a huge time saver. Currently our best option is to use Colin Senner's Re-Link Bitmaps which is great but can still take a while to re-direct many folders.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Materials/Maps/Shaders  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. color coded modifier stack

Ability to quickly give modifiers a colour in modifier stack like photoshop / after effects layers. Would just be a nice feature to help with organisation.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Adding a Material modifier should not destroy vertex normals!

If you import a cad model from inventor (or other formats) as mesh, then apply a material modifier, the vertex normals of the object is destroyed (not kept), and the shading gets messed up.

This also applies to a lot of other modifiers like the standard slice modifier (or cebas scalpelmax). It makes max a lot less useful for visualization for industrial design and cad, since you can not make changes to the mesh. The problem has exsisted for as long as I can remember, but it is time Autodesk fixes this!

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  [admin: Bug]  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. "use script wiring" dialog in PF force node

You have lost the standard functionality.
    I'm surprised that it has not yet fixed.
    http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=1264998

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  [admin: Bug]  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Button Turn OFF all SIMULATION in max To easy play feedback animation

Button Turn OFF all SIMULATION in max (particle flow, Max effects , Flex etc etc ) and max stop to calculate simulation.. To easy play feedback animation and turn on - OFF simulations .. Is dificult select object to object turn OFF , simulation and particle flow , and again turn on...

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 52 53
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base