How can we improve Autodesk 3ds Max?

Speedup Hair and Fur rendering.

Please speed up hair and fur render. It's good for both ME and ArchViz.
Also add presets such as human black hair, human blond hair, and living carpet. That's it. Fast set up!

Should have the option draft, medium, high presets.

Is there any way to render like hairfarm? http://www.hair-farm.com/rendering.php

People will use it out of the box like scatter the object as well.

13 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
RioMIVRioMIV shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • kaczorefxkaczorefx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

But there is one killer thing in Hair and Fur - the dredded message that you applied Hair to a highpoly mesh. It pops up every time you open the scene, also in backburner during network rendering - the popup has no timeout so the entire job just halts untill you go through all the machines and manualy click OK on the message. Seriously?
    It proves that none of the guys at AD ever ever did a real project using Hair :(

• kaczorefxkaczorefx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sorry guys HairFarm is not that fast.
    We've recently been doing commercials with three deers and two hares and we ended up doing it in built in Hair and Fur.
    HairFarm renders lightning fast at the beginning, but hair looks like crap. As soon as you start adding stuff (materials, shadows, selfshadowing, ambience, AA) the render time go even passed Hair and Fur - same setup, lights and number of hairs. HairFarm seems faster because it renders together with the scene, an Hair and Fur is an effect that we have to wait for for ages - but the complete frame render time is about the same in both :(

And that would be my biggest request - make Hair render as an object or atmospheric NOT effect - the ability to see the hair mid render is priceless.

• RioMIVRioMIV commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My request is focus on "Speed". Can max improve hair render from 5min to just 8sec?

- Presets can be made by user.
    - Scatter features already exist. But the idea just let the user use it not only with hair.

• Martin BAdminMartin B (Admin, Autodesk) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OK, so I see four individual requests in this one:

1. Speed up of hair rendering in mental ray
    2. Presets for black/blond hair and carpet
    3. Presets for low/med/high quality
    4. Use Hair for scattering non-hair objects

Which one will the people vote for if they add their votes?

Feedback and Knowledge Base