Improvements for the commandline renderer (e.g. scene sets)
The batch renderer 3dsmaxcmd.exe was not well updated since it was build in 2005. It still lacks features that other applications have. And it does not even support the new state sets. .
What the commandline renderer should have:
1. Options to select which state set to render. What is the use of state sets if you end up saving multiple scene files again?
2. Disable all question dialogs in batch render mode. (Some plugins ask the user for e.g. a temp path which does not exist on the render farm. And the dialog stays open until someone pressed the button on the farm...)
3. Region settings. Option to enable AND disable the region (in case artists have enabled it for interactive work). As well as the region size/position
4. Render elements base output directory + relative paths.
This is not a batch render only change. Render elements settings should have an option for a base path. And then you can set all render elements path as relative path.
And this base output directory needs to be available via commandline.
5. Support for error messages larger than 100 characters. As Error messages are cut.
6. Verbose level: option to enable progress verbose of a frame. Perhaps even an intelligent progress verbose. The higher the frame time, the more % verbose. Every 5% of the image, the batch renderer checks the time. If more than 90s minute elapsed, then output "frame x% done".
We use Royal Render in our Studio Need this Change from Autodesk, too. Please work on it. thank you.
5. Add commandline switch for a plugin/script directory