How can we improve Autodesk 3ds Max?

More robust fluid system

Make a more robust fluid system where we can simulate photorealistic water, fire, and even smoke without the use of external plugins. Make sure it can be simulated fast and has general overall ease of use and speed unlike RealFlow 4 and even Fume FX.

645 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
cbflexcbflex shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
jb_alvaradojb_alvarado shared a merged idea: Smoke Simulation And Render System  ·   · 
AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: fluids with massfx  ·   · 
AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: add fumefx and glu3d  ·   · 
AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: add fumefx and glu3d  ·   · 
bad boybad boy shared a merged idea: add fumefx and glu3d  ·   · 
AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Water and Fire (like everyone else)  ·   · 
VlixVlix shared a merged idea: Fluid Simulation  ·   · 

49 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Nightmare106Nightmare106 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like real-time robust fluid system like the one Nvidia is currently developing using voxels based on Nvidia's new Gameworks particles for fire, smoke, fluid.

• strobstrob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Now with the news of a 199$ Houdini indie (the full Houdini FX with the only limitation to render at full hd max and for people earning not much than 100K/y) a lot of people need a good reason to stay with max! And soon they will release Houdini engine for max. So we could possibly do fluid in Houdini and render them easily in max. i will certainly give this a try but I'm still eager to see Naiad fully integrated in max. then we will be able to have them all in max: Houdini fluids,. naiad and phoenixFD! And Real Flow by the real flow plugin.

• m.rudm.rud commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Eddie Perlberg, if you are reading this, please, Bifrost's addition to Max would be more than just a much needed feature and a great addition, it would be a very very very clear signal to everyone that autodesk is truly committed to Max and it's future, if you go ahead and add a second rated simplified fluid system to Max at this point it WILL make everyone question all you've done for Max until now, it will raise all kinds of concerns and it will affect the future of Max, please don't send out the wrong signal and let us see Bifrost in Max, things are volatile enough right now, please help everyone calm down!

• Shawn OlsonShawn Olson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Got some votes released today ... so moving them here. A lot of people are asking for BiFrost. That might be great... but I do not know its work flow. Whatever the solution, I just hope it is seamlessly integrated with both Pflow and MassFX. I don't like systems where you have to export data from app A into another app and then back to Max. The last time I played with Real Flow, for example, it did not feel seamless. Hopefully the fluids solution for Max is more interactive inside Max. The Flex demo from NVidia last year looked pretty cool... and you'd hope that it would be a painless addition with the other NVidia functions in Max. Just my two cents (and 3 votes).

• m.rudm.rud commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Based on some recent revelations, I think people expecting to see Bifrost in Max including myself will be a bit disappointed since for some reason it doesn't appear that it's on their radar right now, so I guess there'll be another round of ****-throwing ahead at least where this issue is concerned.

• RawalancheRawalanche commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please keep in mind that this request is also Mental Ray related. Mental ray has absolutely no usable volume shader. So in order to successfully produce fluid simulations without plugins, you should also be able to render them without plugins. So some capable volume shader for Mental Ray is on order.

• emihichemihich commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One more,When Bifrost will come to 3dstudio Max? and Why maya is always in the first place ?

• lars2011lars2011 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also just added three votes, because it is time that 3dsmax gets the same care from Autodesk as maya does. We as max users need a working solution for simulating fluids and gases in production quality out of the box! +1

• cadsmartscadsmarts commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I added three votes to this also. It is high time that Max has native fluid simulation!

• strobstrob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just got this to 500 by adding my 3 votes! Not adding Bifrost to max would be a slap in the face to everyone who use max for VFX. Sorry for the violent wording but sometimes things have to be said! ;)

Sure PhoenixFD is promising for liquids, but we also need Bifrost.

Also some people are asking for good integration. For a perfect example of what integration is, see this page on thinkbox software about ember (a product that has beeen integrated in their StokeMX plugin. http://www.thinkboxsoftware.com/ember-demo-videos With this we can simulate rigid body objects being pushed by a water simulation for example.

• joecoke69joecoke69 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As an artist with a naiad license, that i can still get into max via the buddies, i would love the stepping/process to be integrated into max, however, pflow will need to be up to the task if it is to be unififed.

• wool_wool_ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Since this feature got 'under review' today, I want want to share the first thought (although I know 'under review' does mean 'under review' and not 'more'):
    If the decision should be made to implement a fluid-solver in Max, I very much wish that it will be implemented in a 'good' way. More precisely: I hope that the implementation will continue the way towards an "unified simulation system" in Max.
    In other words, Max has MassFX rigid body dynamics - which work together with mCloth - which work together with mParticles. So I hope and wish that a possible fluid-solver will be implemented in a way where it will work together with the existing dynamics as much as possible - because this would allow the users to 'combine' things/effect - and combining things means creativity.

• intrinsiaintrinsia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thinking Particles 6 is said to have fluids in it. Will be interesting to see who wins the race on integration! Would love to see BiFrost in Max though...

• MaudibMaudib commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i see this as a benchmark in how serious autodesk takes its user base.
    there is no excuse not to have bifrost implemented.

let´s see if anything happens, but i am not holding my breath.
    learning new packages that have fluids sims implemented.
    time to move on sadly.

• J_MallardJ_Mallard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please include Bifrost into 3ds Max! I have been waiting for years for a really good fluid simulation package to be integrated into 3ds Max.

• AugustoAugusto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

max is already the best software for FX, is the only one that can compete with Houdini, and that happened without autodesk, all this became possible thanks to 3rd party plugins...
    maybe is the time that autodesk starts to demonstrate a bit of interest on this particular field that is making the difference on the market day by day..
    autodesk! please give us a well done fluid system!

• LoganCDNLoganCDN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bifrost would be a great solution for this and oh look, Autodesk owns it. Sounds like a match made in heaven to me.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base