How can we improve Autodesk 3ds Max?

rotation spring controller

A rotation spring right now has to be built via dummies and offset transform springs, which is tedious and inefficient. Availability of a true rotation spring controller would be neat.

35 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
polytraumapolytrauma shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • polytraumapolytrauma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

BTW, this setup only affects 2 axes. You'll have to build another one for the third, if needed. And the results are slightly flawed due to using positional spring for rotations. Thus i think a true rotation spring controller might really be an improvement in workflow, performance and quality for such a thing.

• polytraumapolytrauma commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@simonenastasi: I learned it from a tutorial found in the subscription center, so if you are on subscription check 3ds Max training videos>Particles and Effects>Fluid Effects. There's a boat being rigged with rotational spring to catch the orientation of the water surface with delay.

The idea is basically to have a point helper (A), another one (B) parented to A and offset from A by some range. B gets padded with another helper in it's place (BB) which gets a positional spring and is parented to B. A gets padded with another helper parented to A (AA), which gets a lookat constraint to BB (if i remember correctly, that is). Hope this helps. I'll see if I can upload an example.

• simone nastasisimone nastasi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Interesting - could you point to some tutorial/post an example of your workaround for rotation spring?

Feedback and Knowledge Base