How can we improve Autodesk 3ds Max?

better xref for animation without breaking rigs

improve xref for animation without break the rig it self. and can update the rig without break the animation. animator cannot delete rig or it will pops up warning dialog

286 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
freedfreed shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
sdhollmansdhollman shared a merged idea: Referencing!  ·   · 
PepelepeuPepelepeu shared a merged idea: Xref Scene needs revision in performance and functionality  ·   · 
andylt1andylt1 shared a merged idea: Decent Referencing... That works with animation data.  ·   · 
julienchandellejulienchandelle shared a merged idea: Improve the reference systeme  ·   · 

24 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • le_fayale_faya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeeeeeeh this day is beautifull !!!! I love this sweet words "UNDER REVIEW" ^^ CHAMPAGNE !!
    If you need beta tester, i will be proud to help you !

thanks a lot

Alex

• Martin BAdminMartin B (Admin, Autodesk) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is not a Small Annoying Thing; also, please do not use the [admin: Bug] category, which is used internally to identify requests that really are bug reports.
    I will move this request to the General forum.

• Mambo4Mambo4 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Referencing animation is definitely one of max's big failures. The consensus over at tech-artists.org is essentially "Don't use max's xRefs or Containers, write you own system"

• Jason TassellJason Tassell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For me the lack of a decent file referencing system is a huge problem for animation intensive pipelines - and the main reason why I find Max incredibly frustrating to work with. Maya handles file referencing so much better.

In an ideal animation pipeline:

1. The rig is referenced into a scene (properly referenced - not merged like containers / xref).
    2. The animator gets access to controllers that are intended for animation only.
    3. The referenced rig is automatically updated when the master file is changed (either manually or on file reload).

This means that shots don't need to be manually edited to update the rig. For games pipelines this allows us to do batch exports of all our animation files with the rig changes. This can save many days of work and is a huge reason why character tds prefer working with Maya.

• abanganabangan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

max is weakly in Operation for controling and management of big production animation projects

• freedfreed commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

References system in max is pain in the ass for TV serial production.
    because if we want add or tweak rig of character we must save animation and do merge in every shot, if there is 150shot so we must remerge 150 times. what a waste of time
    so we need references system that can update while animator animate the character, and i wish the new references in max have option to protect the references object for accidental deleteing the references object

• leFayaleFaya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any admin can say if this options could be possible and if Autodesk think to make 3Dsmax to the same level of Maya and Xsi for this? Thanks a lot !

• leFayaleFaya commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Xref is a big problem in 3Dsmax for animation (I like Max, but this problem will probably make use to change of soft):
    We need, something like containers, that can export a "model" (a file) that can be import, in reference, in max. But we have to acces to modifiers (especially attributs holder) and all elements of this file (maybe could be good to lock acces to a kind of elements choose by user, like all the rigging's elements). With Container, in order to acces to elements (like animation controllers), you cannot do it, even if you choose in the rules options "anything un locked". The only way is to "Open" it, and so, you loose the reference.
    It is something like this with the XrefObject : to acces to custom attribut (on AttributHolder modifier), you have to merged modifier...and so you loose referencing...and if you delete or add elements in the reference files, the upgrade is really unsure.
    In simple words : we need something who can let us upgrade a character/props setup, and directly update it in all animators scenes (really, really important if you have 20 animators who works in same time on the same character).
    Container was a good idea : export a file (.maxc), like the .emdl in XSI, to be import like reference in other scene...but we cannot us this for animation, even if we choose the rules "anything unlocked".
    In addition, I would like to switch (during animation) between 2 kinds of level of rigging, for the layout and for animation..and to keep animation of each..(this is easly with container...but we cannot animated it...)

If max have reference system like XSI or MAYA, this will give him a real power for big productions (i especially think about Tv Show)

Thanks a lot

Alex

• MrTomateMrTomate commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's obvious no? Reference system in Max is quite useless. What we need is something more powerful which let you animate the reference of a character rig for exemple (Maya does it).

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base