How can we improve Autodesk 3ds Max?

Icons hard to read

The current icons in the main UI are almost black and white, are hard to distinguish and have very little contrast in the dark scheme. The new Maya icons work a lot better, even the older 3ds Max icons are better.
They need to be updated with usability, legibility and recognizability in mind.

61 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Martin BAdminMartin B (Admin, Autodesk) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
Jon A. BellJon A. Bell shared a merged idea: General UI Tweaks: Appearance  ·   · 

8 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • ShylonShylon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even 3ds Max 2012 Has slow UI and Interface, Maya & softimage are really faster in UI, 3dsmax in Aero Vista has really slower UI and strill really bothersome. we need something like QT in Maya ,Mudbox and MotionBuilder, fast & reliable,
    Again so slow and so old.

• Steve GreenSteve Green commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1

the dark UI is pretty awful, mainly because it's harder to see which one some of the similar icons is selected - e.g. the orbit tool.

I'm not sure where colour would help, e.g. would it be useful to categorise tools by colour (Animation-Red, Modeling-Blue etc.).

At the moment it seems the tasteful grey is overpowering the usability. Not to mention there are ugly white boxes where the dialogues don't match the rest of the colour scheme.

• Shane GriffithShane Griffith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

unfortunately this is not a small thing due to how the legacy icons were constructed. plus your description sounds to me more like you prefer a change to the default settings. if that is the case open a new request in that forum please and I'm moving the "redo dark icons" to the unsorted for now. -thanks

• TomHudsonTomHudson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree 100%. For years now since they switched to the gray-on-gray UI scheme, the first thing I do after installing new versions of Max is to change the icons and UI colors back to the ones from circa MaxR3.

Feedback and Knowledge Base