General Feature Requests

PURPOSE
Please help us collect ideas for new features and general product enhancements.

Remember, if your idea is a small tweak or defaults change then please use either the Default Settings or Small Annoying Things forums.

What’s on your top ten list? Add a vote to any idea you also think is important!

HOW TO USE THE FORUM

• Each user has 20 votes for each forum
  • Each idea can have no more than 3 votes by a single user
  • If you enter an idea, it will cost you 1 vote – therefore try to make sure the idea doesn’t already exist
  • The more precise and detailed a description you give, the more likely your idea will be considered
  • When an idea is implemented (or declined), votes are returned to all the users that voted
  • Users can change their votes at any time
  • Admins can move, edit and delete ideas as they see fit to better meet the goals of the forum
  • We will flag ideas that are getting our attention as “under review”. Because of limits on what we can say publicly, that is as far as we can go with commenting on a particular idea. If it is “under review” it simply means we’re studying it for possible implementation or gathering data, but there is no commitment to do it.

Remember, we do not release versions on “internet time”. Unlike the web sites this was designed for, our process of releasing functionality is much longer term. So there won’t be a constant churn of ideas being “closed out” by us and votes returned to you. For this tool to map to our process, we will be looking at the data during a short period of the year (3-6 months) and deciding what actions to take after that. Don’t expect to post an idea and a month later for us to respond in some fashion to it. The most likely scenario is that you’ll post an idea and if a lot of other people vote on it, we’ll eventually flag it as “under review” – but that could be 9 months later or longer.

Please treat this as an experiment in working with the community. Even if Uservoice is not the final home for this, we’ll do our best to export all the ideas to whatever future system might take its place. Your voice will persist.

Note: It’s important to realize that these lists are simply raising the quality of the feedback we get from the community. They are not a replacement for how we define the features for any given release. They are valuable input, but beta input, product strategy, focus, innovation and other factors are also important aspects we consider.

BUGS
Please report them at http://www.autodesk.com/3dsmax-DefectSubmission

AVAILABLE PUBLIC FORUMS
Default Settings
Please tell us which user defaults settings you change the most! Enter a description of the default or ini setting and then see how the community votes on it. Remember these are only the user preferences you can either set in the interface or ini files.

General Feature Requests
Please help us collect ideas for new features and general product enhancements. What’s on your top ten list? Add a vote to any idea you also think is important!

Small Annoying Things
This forum is about all the little annoying quirks and problems in 3ds Max that you might have gotten used to over the years but that really should be fixed.
Remember, keep these ideas to tweaks of the workflow rather than large, sweeping changes to the tools. Try to imagine how much effort a programmer has to go into in order to implement your suggestion. Anything requiring major UI changes or new UI dialogs will need to go in another forum.

SDK/Scripting Enhancements
This forum is about improvements to the SDK or Script-related.

How can we improve Autodesk 3ds Max?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Improve the slate material editor

There is so much you could add there,but I am going to mention just one.
    Add a linking function.
    For example:If you had 2 materials you could easily link them to a premade material that has a specific shader.
    Like: glass shader,metal shader,plants shader,toon shaders etc.
    You should be able to link multiple materials to it.

What I hope is that you take a look at many of our suggestions and add as many as possible :)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Materials/Maps/Shaders  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Make x-ray editable

x-ray accessable by Alt+x is a very usefull option,but the problem is that it's often to high opacity to use so most of modelers use an animated material that is assigned to the model to achieve the result they want.
    It's a small change that speeds up quite a lot any modeler.
    And I do care about speed when modeling.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  General UI, Usability, Gizmos  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Selection Filter

selection filter is not efficient in 3ds max, its a long process if you want to create selection combos,

I suggest to make the selection filter like Maya, which you can toggle each selection category with a different button.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  General UI, Usability, Gizmos  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. voronoi fragment inside PFlow

Need Fragmentation node like TP volume break in side Paticle Flow..

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Move Render Button and Drop-Downs Back to Bottom of UI and Make More Compact

In 3ds max 2016 I finally opened the render setup dialog and immediately hated the massive block of 4 options at the top. Those are settings I have easily been able to scroll down to and change, but now they're constantly at the top of my window. They aren't settings that I need to keep tweaking. They're just a "set it and done" kind of thing but it's open over every tab and it feels like my workspace is significantly limited by them. Is there any chance we can get an option to move this stuff back to the bottom…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Rendering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Corrective Delta Morpher

3ds Max really needs a corrective (also known as delta) morph feature. There used to be a plugin called MorphX2 which is no longer available. This feature has a million uses like adding fixer shapes to cloth sims, correcting deformation on top of rigged characters and lots of other life saving things. Max's "Skin Morph" modifier is sorta the same but the underlying deformation doesn't give acceptable vertex delta transformations in many situations and the UI is pretty horrible for any kind of serious use. Maya's Correcive Blend Shapes and NewTek's Chronosculpt are good examples of this type of feature.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. visibility of material ID's

I would like to get a visible feedback of the used material ID's on objects or in the material editor. generally in max some important values are not visible on first sight. you have to go into the object properties or deep into the material...

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. WatchDog for max: Freeze -> CER

Please add a WatchDog [1] in max to catch freeze and create a CER report.

I have many freezes and crashes that will not result in a CER :(
    So i have to create a issues by hand and have no time for this.

A WatchDog can also be used to create a recovery.max from the scene.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watchdog_timer

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Show Track Bar

Fix "Show Track Bar" from becoming un-selected after restarting Max. This is a very old bug.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. ProBoolean enhancements

Automatic rebuilding of a mesh topology during boolean operations to provide smooth and clear edges.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Modeling & Mapping (UVs)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Populate Characters Transition between Walking & Idle

One thing I would love to see would be to be able to have walking characters stop and transition to idle when they walk into an idle area. So the ability to place idle areas at the end of flow paths which would eliminate the characters just disappearing also.

Failing that have the characters pause and not just disappear when they reach the end of a path.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Populate Idle Characters sat on the floor.

To be able to place sitting idle characters that are on the floor. Would be great to be able to do this for use in open green spaces in Arch Vis work.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Populate Walkers in Groups

The ability for the characters to choose to walk in groups instead of all walking on their own.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Populate Path Width Improvement

I would love to see the ability to be able to vary the width along a single flow path. Possibly to be able to adjust at each point.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Populate Start Time Offset

I would love to see the ability to offset the start time of the Populate Sim. We use Populate and instead of having to bake the animation and offset manually it would be great if we could offset the start time of the sim so that the frames would match up when compositing.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. More Robust handling of materials in XRef functions (or all functions that merge from other scenes)

Something that is a little annoying to me is that when using functions like xrefs.addNewXRefObject() (and other MAXScript functions) the options for handling the materials are almost always limited to using the XREF material, Using the Scene Material, or renaming one. Why is there not the option of keeping both? I understand that for the most part materials should be named uniquely, etc. But I have some very good use-case scenarios where keeping many materials with the same names is useful--for example, if you have a collection of materials where their name maps to a specific set of materials in…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Materials/Maps/Shaders  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Slate Map properties should remember rollout properties between sessions

Material properties rollout hiding and unhiding is persistent. But Maps don't seem to be - so when you double click a map to check it's properties in Slate you have to scroll, open and close all your rollouts again to find the same position as you last had. This is annoying and wastes lots of time.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Display selected objects with a solid color

When there are multiple objects together, the edges of the selection may not be visible, making it hard to know which objects are selected.

It would be nice to have a mode that displays all selected objects with a solid color.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Viewport  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Real time Projection Map in viewport (for instance for GOBO simulation)

When using Projector Map (texture projected by a spotlight ) , It will be a huge time saver if we could see the result in real time in the viewport (even with a low resolution aspect).

I always spend a lot of time moving the position, the FOV, the hotspot,the rotation, the angle, the intensity multiplier, etc of my spotlights...until finding the good settings .. and each operation need a rendering!

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Viewport  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Make populate work on non flat surface

Populate works great on flat surface but a great improvement would be the ability to project/conform the simulated people on non flat terrains

that doesn't require doing it in progress i mean we could still work on same level flows and then after we finish with creating paths we can press a button like " project on surface " etc to project the final people simulation to the surface

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 49 50
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base