General Feature Requests

PURPOSE
Please help us collect ideas for new features and general product enhancements.

Remember, if your idea is a small tweak or defaults change then please use either the Default Settings or Small Annoying Things forums.

What’s on your top ten list? Add a vote to any idea you also think is important!

HOW TO USE THE FORUM

• Each user has 20 votes for each forum
  • Each idea can have no more than 3 votes by a single user
  • If you enter an idea, it will cost you 1 vote – therefore try to make sure the idea doesn’t already exist
  • The more precise and detailed a description you give, the more likely your idea will be considered
  • When an idea is implemented (or declined), votes are returned to all the users that voted
  • Users can change their votes at any time
  • Admins can move, edit and delete ideas as they see fit to better meet the goals of the forum
  • We will flag ideas that are getting our attention as “under review”. Because of limits on what we can say publicly, that is as far as we can go with commenting on a particular idea. If it is “under review” it simply means we’re studying it for possible implementation or gathering data, but there is no commitment to do it.

Remember, we do not release versions on “internet time”. Unlike the web sites this was designed for, our process of releasing functionality is much longer term. So there won’t be a constant churn of ideas being “closed out” by us and votes returned to you. For this tool to map to our process, we will be looking at the data during a short period of the year (3-6 months) and deciding what actions to take after that. Don’t expect to post an idea and a month later for us to respond in some fashion to it. The most likely scenario is that you’ll post an idea and if a lot of other people vote on it, we’ll eventually flag it as “under review” – but that could be 9 months later or longer.

Please treat this as an experiment in working with the community. Even if Uservoice is not the final home for this, we’ll do our best to export all the ideas to whatever future system might take its place. Your voice will persist.

Note: It’s important to realize that these lists are simply raising the quality of the feedback we get from the community. They are not a replacement for how we define the features for any given release. They are valuable input, but beta input, product strategy, focus, innovation and other factors are also important aspects we consider.

BUGS
Please report them at http://www.autodesk.com/3dsmax-DefectSubmission

AVAILABLE PUBLIC FORUMS
Default Settings
Please tell us which user defaults settings you change the most! Enter a description of the default or ini setting and then see how the community votes on it. Remember these are only the user preferences you can either set in the interface or ini files.

General Feature Requests
Please help us collect ideas for new features and general product enhancements. What’s on your top ten list? Add a vote to any idea you also think is important!

Small Annoying Things
This forum is about all the little annoying quirks and problems in 3ds Max that you might have gotten used to over the years but that really should be fixed.
Remember, keep these ideas to tweaks of the workflow rather than large, sweeping changes to the tools. Try to imagine how much effort a programmer has to go into in order to implement your suggestion. Anything requiring major UI changes or new UI dialogs will need to go in another forum.

SDK/Scripting Enhancements
This forum is about improvements to the SDK or Script-related.

How can we improve Autodesk 3ds Max?

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. 3d Viewports, Framebuffer and Cameras.

Nvidea - 3d Vision, AMD - HD3D and Oculus Rift compatible
    Viewport´s, Framebuffer and 3d Cameras.
    Would de a gerat help for modeling and creating Stereo Renderings.

Also it would pave the way for the future devices linke holo glasses and so on.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Viewport  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add option to include XRef files in send network rendering job

Add a checkbox unter "include maps" like "include Xref" to send also all needed xref scene/files to render.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Backburner  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. better use of the info readout

Would like to see more pertinent info on readout at bottom of UI. I would particularly like to see selection information, i.e., number of polys or verts selected. It is sometimes difficult to see edge selections and you can never tell if you have a hidden vert selected. It is tedious to scroll up and down the command panel to verify selection information.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Loop-ring deselect

Would like the ability to deselect a loop or ring in a similar manner as the corresponding selections are made. For instance,alt-double-click to deselect an edge loop (just as a double click on an edge selects a loop in 2015). We can create a loop selection by ctrl-shift-click on adjacent polys. We should be able to deselect a loop with alt-shift-click on adjacent polys, or something similar. Especially useful when you are constructing a complex selection and you need to back out a single loop.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  General UI, Usability, Gizmos  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. arrow keys to increment transforms

Would be nice to enable the arrow keys to increment transforms (scale rotate, move) like is available in Photoshop. The unit increment could be defined in preferences. For instance, the arrow key could be set to rotate an object by any number of degrees the user defines. The axis constraint could be determined by which arrow key is pressed or by a key-press combination. The same idea for scale and move. The increments could even be defined in pixels for precise work.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Transform tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 3Ds Max LT subscription on Steam or other sources

Like Maya LT is on Steam it would be most appreciated if there was a 3Ds Max LT subscription as well on Steam or on other sources. Can this be done?

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  3ds Max Composite  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. note pad function

Would be very nice to have a note pad function available throughout the UI that would enable users to attach notes to objects, materials, scenes, modifiers etc. Notes that could be stored and recalled at the users behest.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  General UI, Usability, Gizmos  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. assigning material id to a cluster

Would like the ability to assign a material-id to a cluster while working in the uvw unwrap editor.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Materials/Maps/Shaders  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. non-uniform poly inset

The ability to perform an inset on a poly which would allow adjustments to the width/ length of the inserted poly. Perhaps even a caddy arrangement like in the connect feature where you could slide/squeeze the edges before confirming inset.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Modeling & Mapping (UVs)  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Options to add Scene name and Camera Automatically

It would be great if in the render setup we could automatically add the following to the file name. Scene name , Camera, Artist, Version. probably other things. Maya and various programs have this feature.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Rendering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Missing external files. External file paths per project instead of general.

When there are external files missing when you open a scene, the dialog "configure external file paths" gives you the chance to add a path to look for the missing files. It would be nice to have paths per project, as opposed to every path you added since you installed 3ds max.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Materials/Maps/Shaders  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Fix empty edges in Windows 7 classic mode

If we make full screen in Win 7 Classic mode we have empty areas on edges, I'm windows classic mode user and it is very annoying.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  [admin: Bug]  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. OpenVDB support

Please add the capabillity to import openvdb data.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Import/Export/Link/Merge/Xref  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Hair and Fur, regular distribution please and correct the randomness

Hair and Fur, regular distribution please and correct the randomness

Can we, please have a uniform generation mode like in hairfarm and ornatrix for the hair instead of the default random (which is only good for grass) and also, the random scale is broken, you need to check the images link below to understand well what I mean.

http://i.imgur.com/e0E33l6.jpg

and there

http://i.imgur.com/7TbCl7h.jpg

Let me know if you can do it please, with those little changes, I will be able to do super realistic haircut :)

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Better errro handling/explanation/warnings, better error documentation

Improve the way backburner communicate errors so we can identify what is happening instead of having something like "error -2" or similar things

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Backburner  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Skin Modifier: mirror paste selected vertices only

Please add the option to apply the mirror paste function only to the selected vertices.
    This would allow to fix only parts of the weightings while leaving other areas intact where the weighting would otherwise be destroyed.
    Should be a quick fix, right? I mean there is no real research or algorithms involved.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Create folder, if missing, when rendering Final Gather maps.

When rendering most files, if a folder is specified but does not exist, the folder will be created automatically. So, for instance, if I set up a render pass and run a distributed render to save PNGs to another machine, and the save folder is:

C:\Projects\Sequences\test-PNG\

If that folder (or folders above it) don't exist, those folders will be created automatically when MAX tries to save the PNG.

But I ran into an issue when I tried to do this with a Final Gather prepass. Let's say I had this folder on my local drive:

C:\Projects\Sequences\test-FGM\

If I render FGMs…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Rendering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Ability to use jpeg in viewport canvas

Ability to use jpeg in viewport canvas.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Customizable Instancing for Cloning Operations

Including a check-box in the "Clone Options" dialog that would open up a controller window which would allow us to select what is going to and isn't going to be instanced, including the transform controllers, for example one could select only the position controller as well as the first modifier in the list so only those are instanced in the cloned object.

This option would greatly facilitate creation of partly instanced clone objects in 3ds Max, which at the moment involves going in and manually customizing them after the fact.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Hardware control surface mapping ability for Maya / 3ds Max

It would be great to be able to map a 3rd party hardware control surface like the Tangent Element panels or some other MIDI control surface to the functions in Maya / 3ds Max. I use these panels for several other software programs (FCP X & DaVinci Resolve) and they speed up my workflow considerably.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 45 46
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base