Describe a <b>small</b> opportunities in 3ds Max that annoys you in your daily work. Please give the steps that show it and describe <b>clearly</b> how you'd prefer it to work. Please include a description!

The new Layer Explorer (2015) should have the old buttons back

I would like the new Layer Explorer introduced in version 2015 to have the old buttons back which are now only available in the separate Layers toolbar. For me it is a better and faster workflow than the new layer quad menu.

The buttons:

1) Delete Highlighted Empty Layers: now it's done through the quad menu. This is only a minor hindrance, but I would still prefer the button.

2) Add Selected Objects to Highlighted Layer (This one is the most important for me and the main reason for writing this.): now it's done exclusively through the layer explorer by a) dragging & dropping or b) via the quad menu. Both options are really annoying when there are many layers and many different objects. It can also be done by clicking the button in the Layers toolbar which I've never used because all the buttons were in one place before.

3) Select Objects in Current Layer: this is now done via the layer quad menu by selecting child nodes. It's not that bad, but I would still prefer the old workflow.

4) Hide/Unhide and Freeze/Unfreeze all layers were quite useful as well, especially with a larger number of layers.

204 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
mali22mali22 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

48 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • mali22mali22 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I tried 2016 and yes, it's fine now, except that you have to remember to click on the little gray icon that looks like 3 planes on top of each other to make a layer active (it turns blue). You can't just click on the layer name, that wouldn't work... But my company is still probably not getting 2016 anyway...

• nobukovnobukov commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

2) Add Selected Objects to Highlighted Layer < try this function with following steps.

RMB on Layer manager window
    [Add selection to] - [New Parent(pick)] and Pick layer

it's a little bit troublesome,actually.

• coolmaxxcoolmaxx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add Selected Objects to Highlighted Layer - Why remove this in the first place?

Originally proposed April 29, 2014, its now May 3 2015.

This has my vote!

• KrisKris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hide/unhide all isn't there. Select objects in current layer (called select children) is. Freeze/unfreeze all isn't. There's a pane on the right that allows one to sort by object type (lights, splines, etc).

I meant are these buttons back in max 2016, they said one of the new features are improvements to the layer manager...

No, it is not. I haven't used the 2015 one in a while, but I don't think it's changed.

Is this fixed in 2016? I'm not on subscription any more, so I can't check, I heard it's available for download...

That's V3. I've had it crash 3 times, and I've been using it for ~6 months. But it's a script. Restart it, world's a happy place. Doesn't take max out, or anything. (And, you know, max will FE because you sneezed...)

It is "nested layer manager". Do a search in google, first thing that comes up.

As much as you're probably loathe to pay to fix something that should just work, nested layer manager is the cat's meow. It's only a few bucks, worth every penny... and you can have it now, not some arbitrary distance in the future. AD *may* fix it some day, but they certainly will never revert.

• GriffGriff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"4) Hide/Unhide and Freeze/Unfreeze all layers were quite useful as well, especially with a larger number of layers"

Just came up with a simple way to fix this in the new manager, create new layer called 'Root' or whatever you want, and nest all your current layers in that 'Root' Layer, now you can hide/freeze all by using that one layer.

I still want buttons for this but hopefully this may help some one to get by with this shoddy manager. Wasted all of my night getting to grips with this new manager. It sucks..

• GriffGriff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with all of the above.. why remove the delete, add selected,freeze and hide all buttons??.. was one click job to do these before now you have two extra clicks to do these!? what bright spark thought of this... Massive slow down when using layers. I aslo loaded my old quad menu in from max 2013 and it created a bug where you couldnt delete layers via right-click. It didnt need chaning at all.. simple is better! This is a must fix!

• maxsearchmaxsearch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

STRESS WARNING
    it took me 25 mins to figure out how to use the new layer management !! 'Add Selected Objects to Highlighted Layer' probably the most used tool in 2014 and some genius from Autodesk decide to make it disappear. not a smart at all !

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base