The new Layer Explorer (2015) should have the old buttons back
I would like the new Layer Explorer introduced in version 2015 to have the old buttons back which are now only available in the separate Layers toolbar. For me it is a better and faster workflow than the new layer quad menu.
1) Delete Highlighted Empty Layers: now it's done through the quad menu. This is only a minor hindrance, but I would still prefer the button.
2) Add Selected Objects to Highlighted Layer (This one is the most important for me and the main reason for writing this.): now it's done exclusively through the layer explorer by a) dragging & dropping or b) via the quad menu. Both options are really annoying when there are many layers and many different objects. It can also be done by clicking the button in the Layers toolbar which I've never used because all the buttons were in one place before.
3) Select Objects in Current Layer: this is now done via the layer quad menu by selecting child nodes. It's not that bad, but I would still prefer the old workflow.
4) Hide/Unhide and Freeze/Unfreeze all layers were quite useful as well, especially with a larger number of layers.
You guys (and Autodesk too) should definitely take a look at the Nested Layer Manager plugin. It is really worth the investment (in my opinion, its even a better investment that buying max 2015 il you already have 2014 or 2013). All the features requested here are present. And I know Autodesk will never develop a decent layer manager.
I really don't understand why Autodesk is not listening to its users. If you want to keep us using your softwares, make tools we actually want to use.
The idea of the new layer manager is just so old but the work you did is worse than the old one. Everything you need to have a good workflow is just missing, features are broken.
- Since the new layer explorer i can't search in an other scene explorer without a downtime of about 20 seconds.
- Please save settings for each layer. When i hide/freeze/etc a parent layer each child should get this new state, but when i enable it again i like that each child gets the state from before. When i hide a parent with already hidden children and unhide it EVERY child is visible ... completely unusable.
- Renaming is such a mess. Sometimes you can't use the arrows to move to the end of the name. When you rename by doubleclick and you click onto another layer you will expand that layer.
- Please make it possible to change the color of the line background. And please let us choose if we want an italic font for hidden layers. If you have a look at the old layer manager you will see that it is much easier to look at and much clearer.
This new (layer selection) = (viewport selection) system, makes some of the changes you request impossible. Honestly, I just want the old layer manager back, current one is beyond terrible.
The layer explorer is bugged and has a workflow that is much worse than the old.
The old was far from perfect, but it was faster to sort objects into different layers, plus the right click menu made much more sense. I can see some glimpses of good ideas, but in its current state it is just pissing me off.
And please fix the issue that when you first hide and then show multiple layers at once you will also unhide all hidden objects inside the layers.
An please fix some workflow issues of the new layer-explorer.
e.g. when you double click on a layer to rename it and than you click onto another layer the second layer will get expanded.
Sometimes you will lose the current selection when you add the selection to another layer.
Sometimes you move an layer into another layer by chossing -> rightclick -> add selection to -> selection (though you have only objects selected).
Sometimes your shortcuts get stuck and can't be used anymore in the whole 3ds max until you search and cancel the search in the layer-explorer.
Please let us decide if we want the hidden layer get cursive - i don't like it because it distort the look of the words.
And Please let us search for a string inside the layername (and not always form the beginning of the layername) -> e.g. i have a layer calldd "01 - Building - Details" and i want to search for "Details" -> the same for the default scene-explorer.
Totally agree. And please fix the issue that when you move the 0-layer into another layer you can't get it out anymore. To move the 0-layer into another choose the right-click-menu -> add selection to -> selection.
Agree with it all too, because I worked a lot with it in 2014. But one of my favourite wishes is a button for deleting all unused layers, because every time you delete all objects on a layer the layer remains in the list. If you have a long layer list it is very time consuming to do it one by one (yes, I know, you can use the shift key, but if one of the layers is used the cross for deleting is not usable). Simply a command like the good old "Purge" in AutoCAD. By the way, I dont understand that you have about 40 possible columns for the Layer Explorer, but none for the status "Used"/"Unused".
actually I reported this as a bug! it's more than annoying, if you create a new layer,
select the scene objects scroll down several pages to the damn objects in the acutal layer to grab them, scroll up again to put it on the new layer and notice hey, the new layer is now at the end of the layer list, because you named it "unused objects" damnit! scroll scroll scroll. hell yeah!
The second thing is that the unfold structure of the layer and hierachy tree is collapsed every time after switching between both modes. Does someone test this stuff?
Agree with all of them, as much as i like the new Layer Explorer - it got quite usefull to have all the selecting and assigning buttons in the old Layer Explorer.
Additional to that its quite hard to assign G-Buffer IDs to Layers now - only to Objects. While i think thats ok, to remove confusing assignments - it would be great to get into Object-properties, when selecting all object via Layer-select Child node. Right now i have to go back to Viewport to get multiple Object-Properties
Agree with all of these, #2 is the most annoying and has slowed me down considerably now each time I'm trying to move objects around in layers.
Number 2 is the most important to me
Totally agree. It´s great that they added features to layer handling but it blows me away that at the same time they take away basic features/make them difficult to use. Using 2 separate windows to handle the layers is a nightmare.
Totally agree with this post (all the items listed). I am especially missing item #4 - the ability to with one click hide all layers - definitely want that back please !