The new Layer Explorer (2015) should have the old buttons back
I would like the new Layer Explorer introduced in version 2015 to have the old buttons back which are now only available in the separate Layers toolbar. For me it is a better and faster workflow than the new layer quad menu.
1) Delete Highlighted Empty Layers: now it's done through the quad menu. This is only a minor hindrance, but I would still prefer the button.
2) Add Selected Objects to Highlighted Layer (This one is the most important for me and the main reason for writing this.): now it's done exclusively through the layer explorer by a) dragging & dropping or b) via the quad menu. Both options are really annoying when there are many layers and many different objects. It can also be done by clicking the button in the Layers toolbar which I've never used because all the buttons were in one place before.
3) Select Objects in Current Layer: this is now done via the layer quad menu by selecting child nodes. It's not that bad, but I would still prefer the old workflow.
4) Hide/Unhide and Freeze/Unfreeze all layers were quite useful as well, especially with a larger number of layers.
"4) Hide/Unhide and Freeze/Unfreeze all layers were quite useful as well, especially with a larger number of layers"
Just came up with a simple way to fix this in the new manager, create new layer called 'Root' or whatever you want, and nest all your current layers in that 'Root' Layer, now you can hide/freeze all by using that one layer.
I still want buttons for this but hopefully this may help some one to get by with this shoddy manager. Wasted all of my night getting to grips with this new manager. It sucks..
I agree with all of the above.. why remove the delete, add selected,freeze and hide all buttons??.. was one click job to do these before now you have two extra clicks to do these!? what bright spark thought of this... Massive slow down when using layers. I aslo loaded my old quad menu in from max 2013 and it created a bug where you couldnt delete layers via right-click. It didnt need chaning at all.. simple is better! This is a must fix!
it took me 25 mins to figure out how to use the new layer management !! 'Add Selected Objects to Highlighted Layer' probably the most used tool in 2014 and some genius from Autodesk decide to make it disappear. not a smart at all !
I find the new layer manager very cumbersome and confusing to use, It was so straightforward and simple in 2014. The two of us at our company who use 3DS MAX have decided not to use 2015 based on this "upgrade". We use Layer Explorer in every file we open. For us...its a slow down in our work, and thus a show-stopper.
why is this not under review? it's very counter-intuitive to have to expand your current object layer just to be able to drag the object to a new layer...
Rule of thumb: if it ain't broke, don't fix it. You can change the engine without changing the hood. Layer manager is my most used feature, and the reason I don't use 2015 at all.
Yes we can´t really get our heads around this new layer manager either. Agree with everyone and want theese too:
Highlight Selected Objects' Layers,
Select Highlighted Objects and Layers,
Add Selected Objects to Highlighted Layer.
So apparently those buttons still exist, but I cant eem to get them into the new layer manager, just have to have them floating or docked to the normal ui.
Open layer manager.
Right click in gray bar at top of layer dialogue box. The very top
Select Layers from pull down that appears.
This will bring up the layer controls which can be docked.
Please, for the love of God, let us select objects in the viewport and "Add Selection to layer"... This is so retarded...
So is there any easy way to unhide all layers?...besides selecting them all and toggling the lightblub icon?
I agree with everyone. The new layer manager is horrible. I'm working back in Max 2014 just because of this annoyance! I need to be able to right click and simply add selection to layer just like we used to do. I am not understanding how this new system is better. :-( Been working in Max since it first came out, and it's nice to get updates, but certain things need that rule "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Exactly, now there is no more interaction between actual objects and the Layer manager, which is simply not the way things are done from an artist's perspective, rather a programmer's.
Also, thanks to everyone for supporting this.
this is absurd. There needs to be an "add selection to layer" button, ideally in the right-click menu that appears when you right click the layer you want to add to. Like in Maya, or the Outliner plugin for 3ds Max
totally agree its slows my workflow so much not having the add to layer management button
I have to agree with this request 100%.
The most important buttons for me on the old layer manager were:
1) Hide / Unhide all Layers
2) Add Selected Object(s) to Current Layer
3) Delete Selected Layer
There are ways to work around not having these buttons with the new setup, but they are cumbersome and involve selecting all the layers (and every object in scene), using the quad menu, multiple clicks instead of one, etc.
This is the MOST annoying thing in the new 2015 so far... plus the all OLD problems that are there since EVER!!!
You guys (and Autodesk too) should definitely take a look at the Nested Layer Manager plugin. It is really worth the investment (in my opinion, its even a better investment that buying max 2015 il you already have 2014 or 2013). All the features requested here are present. And I know Autodesk will never develop a decent layer manager.
I really don't understand why Autodesk is not listening to its users. If you want to keep us using your softwares, make tools we actually want to use.
The idea of the new layer manager is just so old but the work you did is worse than the old one. Everything you need to have a good workflow is just missing, features are broken.
- Since the new layer explorer i can't search in an other scene explorer without a downtime of about 20 seconds.
- Please save settings for each layer. When i hide/freeze/etc a parent layer each child should get this new state, but when i enable it again i like that each child gets the state from before. When i hide a parent with already hidden children and unhide it EVERY child is visible ... completely unusable.
- Renaming is such a mess. Sometimes you can't use the arrows to move to the end of the name. When you rename by doubleclick and you click onto another layer you will expand that layer.
- Please make it possible to change the color of the line background. And please let us choose if we want an italic font for hidden layers. If you have a look at the old layer manager you will see that it is much easier to look at and much clearer.
This new (layer selection) = (viewport selection) system, makes some of the changes you request impossible. Honestly, I just want the old layer manager back, current one is beyond terrible.
The layer explorer is bugged and has a workflow that is much worse than the old.
The old was far from perfect, but it was faster to sort objects into different layers, plus the right click menu made much more sense. I can see some glimpses of good ideas, but in its current state it is just pissing me off.