Describe a <b>small</b> opportunities in 3ds Max that annoys you in your daily work. Please give the steps that show it and describe <b>clearly</b> how you'd prefer it to work. Please include a description!

"New intuitive viewport" navigation in 3DSMax 2015 does not work properly

The "adaptive viewport navigation for smarter zooming, panning, and orbiting" in 3D Studio Max 2015 seems to be malfunctioning more often then not, putting it's focus-point wrong. Beyond that this new way of navigating is an absolute nightmare for large Urban scale scenes, as you tend to have a hyper-sensitive focus point and this simply makes version 2015 unusable. At least give us a choise between navigational systems so we're not stuck to previous versions untill this is sorted out...?

33 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
3dboomerang3dboomerang shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

24 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • NeurologicalNeurological commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

ohhhh my gosh, i've been pulling my damn hair out trying to figure out why the viewport-panning is so incredibly all-over the place.

not only am i experiencing the orbit-tool problems, but also the whole 'pan-speed-depends-on-where-you-click' thing is HORRENDOUSLY obnoxious, and i haven't been able to find a way of switching back to the old version.

if anyone knows of a way to make the viewport-panning work like it used to, holy fuck, please let me know O_O, i'm taken out of my work-groove CCOONSTANTLY with spats of frustration of how annoyingly broken this new pantool is.

• mats.holmbergmats.holmberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please Autodesk, note this: Never deploy a new feature without giving us users (your customers, we who pay for your product) an option to keep functionality to what we are used to.

• 3dboomerang3dboomerang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

(btw vote is not to fix this, it's the wrong place, this vote is to REVERT TO THE OLD SYSTEM)

--- THIS NEW SYSTEM IS SIMPLY CRAP.

• mats.holmbergmats.holmberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just installed 2015 and this bug was apparent to me immediately. Just fix it now, ok? If it was up to me, I'd revert to the 2012 viewport, which is by far the most reliable one. (Stil have 2012 installed to do the bulk of my modelling.)

• Josh_DTJosh_DT commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This feature is extremely frustrating! I groan at the fact that I have to use this version of 3ds Max for my job. Please fix this!

• peteristratepeteristrate commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This new viewport navigation made Max2015, practically, unusable.
    That was a waste of money and resources for Autodesk on a product that nobody's using.
    I'm not really sure who's responsible for this but i hope it will be held accountable internally(in Autodeks company) as this is simply a fatal mistake for the whole product.

There are a lot of other bugs and in Max 2015, compared to previous years so i think this version was a total fail - i don't know who was in charge of testing, approving and delivering the product this year on the market but obviously that person should be fired or at least kept away from decisional positions.

I'm sure many people wanted their money back.

Will there be no sequel to this topic then? I thought we were doing pretty good discussing... I'd like to know if this can be sent to the bug section or if it's going to stay hidden in here?

• RawalancheRawalanche commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sure the old style was not ideal. But the "new style" of navigation is unusable compared to old one. I really can not understand how it could ever make it through the testing. If it was experimental, then there should at very least be option to disable it.

Of course i am rude. I am angry beyond imagination. I spent all the subscription money just to get broken viewport navigation. Seriously... viewport navigation... that is the most essential thing.

I understand what you mean, but in this case, there is not any compromise. I am also very well aware of what focal point sampling was supposed to fix. But as usually, Autodesk is trying to cure cancer with a bandage.

There are great examples like Modo, where viewport navigation sensitivity remains consistent under different scene scale situations even without as clumsy solution as this focal point sampling thing.

But i get it, not everyone at Autodesk is a genius. I have also not only reported it via defect submission form, but also contacted directly Autodesk staff to make sure it gets resolved. What frustrates me though is the "it's not really broken" attitude, and even more, hearing that i should adapt my workflow due to the broken solution.

I made a video. In order to help whoever is watching to understand, what's going on, i also added text to exactly describe my steps. What could possibly be better place to put description of the steps showcased in the video into?

• Martin BAdminMartin B (Admin, Autodesk) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Rawalanche: I am asking additional questions in order to clarify this request. Before getting rude, maybe you should pause for a second and wonder why these questions are being asked. If you place important information into a caption of a youtube video, then maybe that is not the best place. Sometimes it helps to understand why exactly you want YOUR way of doing things, as there might be an alternative solution to cover your way and that of thousands of other users.

FWIW, the motivation for this new navigation style (which I am not trying to defend but to explain) was to help with situations where you have a large scene and get very close into some detail. The old style used to become problematic in those cases, hence the attempt to improve it.

I don't care to much about the new way of navigating, I somewhat understand pple asking for a more "intuïtive" navigational method like sketchup, but then again, one should not be shot down cause of a new one. Just let people have the choice of what they prefer. After many many years of using 3D Studio Max, simply replacing the main way of navigating into something totaly else is mind boggling to many pple i believe. I'm speaking from the perspective where we simply cannot use 3D Studio Max 2015 because of the new navigation system.

If there was a choice left to wanting the old way of navigating or a new way, that's just fair for everyone. Being forced into a new way of navigating, from one day to the other, is just plain horrifying for us.

Espeacialy when it's broken.

It's like if you completely broken Mental Ray, to the point of being absolutely unusable, and asked a Mental Ray based studio with all their assets done for mental ray and their pipeline adapted to mental ray and no Vray licences "Why is using Vray not an option?"

Because it's something TOTALLY different. I am used orbit mode. If i pan off my object, to move freely in space, i want my orbit pivot to follow me. Have you ever tried orbiting with sub-object mode while having object that is selected off screen?

It's totally different way of navigation. I want MY way, which i am used to after many years of using 3ds Max, and which is also consistent with pretty much any other 3D software out there. Having orbit point placed on the selected object is a nonsense to me.

And also, if you watched my video thoroughly, you would notice that orbit point gets messed up as soon as you deselect the object, which you often need to do, because over wireframe, you can not see the shading properly.

I can't believe it. How can you even ask me this? It's extremely obvious. And i even written WHY it is not an option, right there, in that caption, and following caption explains also why focal point sampling is broken even when orbit mode is set to sub-object.

I too do realize that this is not a right place to report bugs, but you absolutely MUST be able to reproduce it.

If people like you (Autodesk Admins) start to say they can not repro it, then it increases chance it won't ever get fixed.

I made you an incredibly easy to follow video on how to repro it:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX4N7xuZrrI

I can't even imagine how this could get through beta testing. You must have been testing just teapot on a plane... -.-

• Martin BAdminMartin B (Admin, Autodesk) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

OK, after reading through four pages of that thread, I still cannot reproduce your problem here, neither the orbit nor the bug report problem. And yes, 2015 isn't listed for me either, you best shot would be to use 2014 for the moment.

Uservoice definitely isn't the place for reporting bugs.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base