Describe a <b>small</b> problem in 3ds Max that annoys you in your daily work. Please give the steps that show it and describe <b>clearly</b> how you'd prefer it to work. Please include a description!

Switch from caddies to old style dialogue boxes

I have a big problem with the caddies for the following reasons.
•They jump around all over the place. I've read of a fix for this, but it should be implemented by default.
•They are unnecessarily hard to read. The symbols are small and not always so easy to understand.
•Spinner direction is illogical.
•More clicks are needed to change things like "Bevel - group/normal/local".
•They work very badly with typ-in numbers. A typed in figure will not always update in the viewport when tab or enter is pressed. When typing in a number in the first box, and then use tab to go to the next box, it won't let you type anything. It looks like the box is active (marked gray) but you can't write until you click the box.
•Overall, tab, enter and esc do not do what you would expect them to do (switching between boxes, accepting and cancelling operations). This problem preceeds the caddy, however.

But why not simply let us choose to have the old style menus? To me, a max user since v.2.5, changing features critical to workflow without any options is actually quite rude. Customization and user friendlyness should be key issues for any software developer.
Please give us an option not to use caddies in 2012.

433 votes
Vote
Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
mats.holmbergmats.holmberg shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
arturkharturkh shared a merged idea: Switch from caddies to old style dialogue boxes in previous versions of Max  ·   · 
Samf01Samf01 shared a merged idea: (+Pop tool menus  ·   · 
completed  ·  xun.xieAdminxun.xie (Product Designer, Autodesk) responded  · 

In Max 2014, there is a control in menu Customize—>Preference—>General—>UI display, in which you can turn off the Caddies.
For those requesting a similar change to older versions of 3ds Max: Feel free to add your vote to the appropriate request (see http://3dsmaxfeedback.autodesk.com/forums/76763-small-annoying-things/suggestions/3791870-switch-from-caddies-to-old-style-dialogue-boxes-in )

48 comments

Sign in
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • SphelxSphelx commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with artukh; I don't consider this fixed either.
    I cannot afford to upgrade to 2014 and I chose to pay good money for Max 2012/13 rather than to pirate it like so many others. We need a product update for Max 2012 and 2013 to address this core UI usability issue.

• arturkharturkh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Problem is not solved. I want this control menu in Max 2012. Or do you think we'll spend some thousand dollars to buy Max 2014 only because you have awry hands and just returned back what you primarily destroyed?

• mitchgatesmitchgates commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Caddies were a mistake, you guys just need to accept that fact and remove them. Time to move on.

• m.rudm.rud commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Huh, i always knew people don't respond well to change or adapting to change, but this really seems like a bit too much to me, true that they need improvements, but honestly i'm really comfortable using them, the horizontal spinners actually make more sense to me and not having a giant ugly panel popping right into my face is quite nice, so please Autodesk, if you are really considering bringing the old panels back at least let the choice be ours whether to switch or not.

• ArtbotArtbot commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

All I can say is, thank goodness for being able to replace the current dll's with the old dlls for this and "select in scene", the second most egregious UI error in Max. Makes the horrible new caddies look and function like the old ones.

• bill nbill n commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There's a pretty good reason why this is the number one voted-for request. That's right, caddies are terrible.
    I'd love to hear the individual that first designed them try to justify their existence, but there's no way they would have balls to admit they came up with the single most hated feature of Max. Clearly they're fairly senior at Autodesk as they're still here, and god help us all if this person is in charge of redesigning the entire Max interface. So, whoever you are, how about you admit you made a mistake, and replace them with something usable?

• nnq2603nnq2603 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Second this "worst slowest most counter intuitive piece of design".

I'm glad that the Arch company where I work all 3D engineer still use 3ds Max 2009. Sometime back, we use Max9 but for some file incompatible reason, gotta go 2009.

And fortunately, since then, we stay with Max 2009 SP1 x64 for all 3D tasks related to our works. Once or twice, one of guy try to install and test higher edition such as 2010, 2011 (with caddies, new viewport, new material browers, etc... annoying things come along)... but quickly end up turn back to 2009 for the sake of simple, yet effectiveness and stablity.

• musashidanmusashidan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@spacefrog. You Sir. are a genius!! I almost wet myself when I installed your 'caddy vanquisher' script. To see my beloved old dialogue floaters display themselves before I'd barely clicked my mouse brought a tear to my eye. No waiting, no flickering, no refreshing. Just: click>boom.

Thank you so much for this mate.

• musashidanmusashidan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

These bloody caddies are so horrendously implemented that I find myself inwardly cringing when I have to click the dreaded 'open the caddy' button. A reversion to the 100% perfectly practical old-school dialogue is a MUST!!
    Incidentally, as a one-time avid user of Polyboost, I find myself avoiding graphite almost entirely, due to it's cripplingly ponderous clunkiness.

Autodesk, sort these crazy 'design' flaws out. Trim the fat.

• makenshimakenshi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why did they make forum or vote something like this if they didnt even see, read, listen,do something about it to. I guess ken is self centered man , that believe his idea is the best thing , never listen, "masa bodoh/ignorat" about someone else talk. I guess he need to changed/demoted, change someone else who knows about "max" like boris maybe!. He only believe in good eye candy thing not the funtion or better the speed of max. Max right now is on the edge of doom/maybe it was intended. Every release the bug is mounted. Damn what can I say, Max right now is on the "Bad Hand"

• Swan PlaytonSwan Playton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

"If its ain't broken. Don't try to fix it"

Oldschool windows style buttons are clear useful and always fast.

Caddies are the worst thing you could come up with if you planned this as an improvement!

• metamanmetaman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

yes, WTF where you guys thnking when you changed the old boxes for the cadies...seriously.

• danieldaniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Every time the ribbon pops up my blood starts to boil. Please bring back the normal dialogue box as a choice.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base