Small Feature Requests

PURPOSE
This forum is about all the little annoying quirks and problems in 3ds Max that you might have gotten used to over the years but that might benefit from a second look.

Remember, keep these ideas to tweaks of the workflow rather than large, sweeping changes to the tools. Try to imagine how much effort a programmer has to go into in order to implement your suggestion. Anything requiring major UI changes or new UI dialogs will need to go in another forum.

Feature ideas considered too big will simply be moved to the General Feature Requests forum; suggestions for new defaults should go into the Default Settings forum.

Add your vote to any idea if you also think this is an annoying behavior that needs to be fixed.

HOW TO USE THE FORUM
- Each user has 20 votes for each forum
- Each idea can have no more than 3 votes by a single user
- If you enter an idea, it will cost you 1 vote – therefore try to make sure the idea doesn’t already exist
- The more precise and detailed a description you give, the more likely your idea will rise higher in the list
- When an idea is implemented, votes are returned to all the users that voted
- User can change their votes at any time
- Admins can move, edit and delete ideas as they see fit to better meet the goals of the forum
- We will flag ideas that are getting our attention as “under review”. Because of limits on what we can say publicly, that is as far as we can go with commenting on a particular idea. If it is “under review” it simply means we’re studying it for possible implementation or gathering data, but there is no commitment to do it.

Remember, we do not release versions on “internet time”. Unlike the web sites this was designed for, our process of releasing functionality is much longer term. So there won’t be a constant churn of ideas being “closed out” by us and votes returned to you. For this tool to map to our process, we will be looking at the data during a short period of the year (3-6 months) and deciding what actions to take after that. Don’t expect to post an idea and a month later for us to respond in some fashion to it. The most likely scenario is that you’ll post an idea and if a lot of other people vote on it, we’ll eventually flag it as “under review” – but that could be 9 months later or longer.

Please treat this as an experiment in working with the community. Even if Uservoice is not the final home for this, we’ll do our best to export all the ideas to whatever future system might take its place. Your voice will persist.

Note: It’s important to realize that these lists are simply raising the quality of the feedback we get from the community. They are not a replacement for how we define the features for any given release. They are valuable input, but beta input, product strategy, focus, innovation and other factors are also important aspects we consider.

BUGS
Please report them here:
http://www.autodesk.com/3dsmax-DefectSubmission

AVAILABLE PUBLIC FORUMS
Default Settings
Please tell us which user defaults settings you change the most! Enter a description of the default or ini setting and then see how the community votes on it. Remember these are only the user preferences you can either set in the interface or ini files.

General Feature Requests
Please help us collect ideas for new features and general product enhancements. What’s on your top ten list? Add a vote to any idea you also think is important!

Small Annoying Things
This forum is about all the little annoying quirks and problems in 3ds Max that you might have gotten used to over the years but that really should be fixed.
Remember, keep these ideas to tweaks of the workflow rather than large, sweeping changes to the tools. Try to imagine how much effort a programmer has to go into in order to implement your suggestion. Anything requiring major UI changes or new UI dialogs will need to go in another forum.

SDK/Scripting Enhancements
This forum is about improvements to the SDK or Script-related.

Describe a small opportunities in 3ds Max that annoy you in your daily work. Please give the steps that show it and describe clearly how you'd prefer it to work. Please include a description!

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add Environment Ranges And Clipping Planes To Viewport in Physical Camera

The physical camera has spinners for Environment Ranges And Clipping Planes but no wayy to see these ranges in the viewport. This makes setting them quite difficult. Can we please have the viewport gizmos from the standard camera added to the physical camera?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Rendering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Material Node that makes it possible to combine two normal maps

I would like to have the option to combine or blend two normal maps via a node. A node that blends the normal maps correctly and also normalizes the result.
    With this node it would be possible to blend a normal map that was generated for a certain model with another, more generic one (maybe a tillable scratch map, for an example).

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Materials/Maps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add Opensubdiv to EditablePoly

Can we please have the NURMS subdivision scheme inside of Editablepoly objects replaced with Opensubdiv? I turn this feature on a lot to get a quick view of what my subdiv surface will look like (without the need to add extra modifiers), and now the results of course differ from the more modern and multiplatform OpenSubdiv. If we don't want to fully replace NURMS, then lets add Opensubdiv as an option and have that be the default for new files.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Merging objects with missing maps needs to warn the user

When you open a max file with missing maps, it warns the user. If you Merge/Replace/Import an object with missing maps, there is no warning. This has caused problems in our studio many times, because unless the artist specifically checks with the asset tracker after every merge, then max files with broken/missing maps can get placed into production and cause problems. Please add this missing map check to all the other ways that assets can be added to a max scene. Merge, Replace, Import, Opening a Material file, etc.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Stingray

Add ability to clear a map out of a slot in the Stingray Material (Right-click>Clear). UX is inconsistent with rest of material editor UX. If you want "no" map (after previously adding one), you need to rebuild the material.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Arnold with Hair and Fur

Please add support for Hair and Fur in Arnold renderer.
    Like in Arnold MtoA https://support.solidangle.com/display/AFMUG/Shave+and+a+Haircut

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Rendering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. End point automatic welding threshold unit of measurement does not match my system unit scale.

End point automatic welding threshold unit of measurement does not match my system unit scale. I work in mm. I always have spline vertices snapping together even when they are 550mm apart and the threshold is set to '6'. I don't know what the threshold unit is measured in, but should ideally match the system unit scale.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Splines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Stingray material

Reorganise the Stingray drop down - stop wasting UI space.
    For example - add the normal map value alongside the normal map material slot (i.e no need to have two line for same materials). Similar to how the standard material has been working for ages... :-)

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Resize Navigator in the Slate material editor

Allow the Navigator in the Slate Material Editor to be widened - for example, when opening a Stingray Material I can't read the 'global_diffuse_cube.....' descriptions. But more useful, it would allow for texture paths to be read without having to go into the materials slot.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. 3ds max Begginer to Extreme Expert In-Depth Demonstration Step-by-Step Tutorial Crash Kit

I practically live on tutorials. Commonly I find or come across something in 3dsmax I want to learn how to use but cannot find the online resources on how to use it (or use it properly). I thought it would be great for 3dsmax to include an in-depth production quality tutorial library with videos and documentation (two documentation versions: a very in-depth technical version and a summarized/ dumb-down step by step version) within 3dsmax which teaches a person how to use 3dsmax max up to an advanced- professional level. The highlight of the library is not only for videos and…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI, usability, learnabiliy  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Viewport Target Object Pivot

I had an idea where a button could be pushed where an objects pivot could appear in the middle of the viewport for a quick pivot reference. For example: If I was modeling on a massive, complex, and abstract hotel and I had to duplicate floors but didn't want to continuously scroll/zoom outwards to re-position a pivot point; I was wondering if a button could be pressed where the object's pivot could be displayed in the center of the viewport for quick and on-the-fly pivot re-positioning. I think this feature would be great for working on objects in small spaces…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. "Calculate Similar Geometry" in Unwrap Modifier

When using an unwrap modifier, have a feature where it calculates similar geometry and outputs a similar unwrap as other already unwrapped similar geometry.

It's very tiring to repeat an unwrap for exactly similar objects.For example, imagine if I have two walls. One is unwrapped and the other has a different mold lining. I would like to select a wall that has no unwrap and have a button to calculate an unwrap for the similar shape of the wall and output a unwrap onto the unwrap viewport. I think this will cut down the unwrapping process dramatically.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Texturing/UV  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. 3dsmax "Round Chamfer" tool to create a perfect circle from a single vertex

I had an idea where the user has a tool where they could create a perfect circle from a single vertex using a chamfer and have the ability to set the amount of radial vertices. I think this could be a very useful tool.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Image Projection Topologizer

I had an insane idea. It would be interesting to see a feature that uses images to project to a single point where a model can be calculated and created using polygons. The feature allows the user to grab a collection of images and puts them in a dome-like formation and then renders it as if a projection pointing at the center and calculates and auto-topologizes based on the image's rgb (color) and greyscale (highlights and shadows) values. Then the user can refine the model that was calculated by modifying it.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 3dsmax version of Mesh Fusion

I still would like a Mesh Fusion version for 3dsmax. Perhaps have it even more simplified than the Mesh Fusion used in Modo. I also don't think it should be the same as a 3dsmax boolean, it should be it's own feature in the Create Geometry tab's drop down list.
    I think this idea can attract users to using 3dsmax and even make modeling fun and easy.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Useful Unwrap Button

I know you can make left click and use a "convert to editable poly modifier" or add a "Edit Poly" modifier after an unwrap which can preserve an unwrap. I was wondering for those who do not know this if there could be a button called "Preserve Unwrap and Return to Editable Poly" which simply returns to the editable poly modifier (or previous Edit Poly) and gives the user an assurance that their unwrap UVs have been preserved/saved to their model. It seems not having this feature confuses users into thinking once they choose "convert to editable poly" or perhaps…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Texturing/UV  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Auto Snap-Align

Have a tool that allows segments to automatically snap-align with other segments in the background or foreground of the modeled object.

Have the same tool auto snap-align with other object edges/faces. Have the tool also auto snap-align with other objects in the foreground and background. Another good idea is to have the auto-snap align with the base grid in 3D space (it uses an object's edges and face to snap and not an object's axis).

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. 3dsmax 2017 previous UI

I'm not much a fan of 3dsmax 2017 UI. I enjoyed the previous UI toolset icons.
    I find it difficult to find certain tools. I was wondering if there could be an option to return the UI to it's previous icons.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI, usability, learnabiliy  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. 3dsmax Layers to File Export

I think it would be an interesting idea to have a feature where you can save all or export all layer items all at once to a 3dsmax file.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. AutoCAD DWG/DXF import does not remember incoming file units

please fix it so it remembers the last setting..annoying when importing many times

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Interoperability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 38 39
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base