Small Feature Requests

PURPOSE
This forum is about all the little annoying quirks and problems in 3ds Max that you might have gotten used to over the years but that might benefit from a second look.

Remember, keep these ideas to tweaks of the workflow rather than large, sweeping changes to the tools. Try to imagine how much effort a programmer has to go into in order to implement your suggestion. Anything requiring major UI changes or new UI dialogs will need to go in another forum.

Feature ideas considered too big will simply be moved to the General Feature Requests forum; suggestions for new defaults should go into the Default Settings forum.

Add your vote to any idea if you also think this is an annoying behavior that needs to be fixed.

HOW TO USE THE FORUM
- Each user has 20 votes for each forum
- Each idea can have no more than 3 votes by a single user
- If you enter an idea, it will cost you 1 vote – therefore try to make sure the idea doesn’t already exist
- The more precise and detailed a description you give, the more likely your idea will rise higher in the list
- When an idea is implemented, votes are returned to all the users that voted
- User can change their votes at any time
- Admins can move, edit and delete ideas as they see fit to better meet the goals of the forum
- We will flag ideas that are getting our attention as “under review”. Because of limits on what we can say publicly, that is as far as we can go with commenting on a particular idea. If it is “under review” it simply means we’re studying it for possible implementation or gathering data, but there is no commitment to do it.

Remember, we do not release versions on “internet time”. Unlike the web sites this was designed for, our process of releasing functionality is much longer term. So there won’t be a constant churn of ideas being “closed out” by us and votes returned to you. For this tool to map to our process, we will be looking at the data during a short period of the year (3-6 months) and deciding what actions to take after that. Don’t expect to post an idea and a month later for us to respond in some fashion to it. The most likely scenario is that you’ll post an idea and if a lot of other people vote on it, we’ll eventually flag it as “under review” – but that could be 9 months later or longer.

Please treat this as an experiment in working with the community. Even if Uservoice is not the final home for this, we’ll do our best to export all the ideas to whatever future system might take its place. Your voice will persist.

Note: It’s important to realize that these lists are simply raising the quality of the feedback we get from the community. They are not a replacement for how we define the features for any given release. They are valuable input, but beta input, product strategy, focus, innovation and other factors are also important aspects we consider.

BUGS
Please report them here:
http://www.autodesk.com/3dsmax-DefectSubmission

AVAILABLE PUBLIC FORUMS
Default Settings
Please tell us which user defaults settings you change the most! Enter a description of the default or ini setting and then see how the community votes on it. Remember these are only the user preferences you can either set in the interface or ini files.

General Feature Requests
Please help us collect ideas for new features and general product enhancements. What’s on your top ten list? Add a vote to any idea you also think is important!

Small Annoying Things
This forum is about all the little annoying quirks and problems in 3ds Max that you might have gotten used to over the years but that really should be fixed.
Remember, keep these ideas to tweaks of the workflow rather than large, sweeping changes to the tools. Try to imagine how much effort a programmer has to go into in order to implement your suggestion. Anything requiring major UI changes or new UI dialogs will need to go in another forum.

SDK/Scripting Enhancements
This forum is about improvements to the SDK or Script-related.

Describe a small opportunities in 3ds Max that annoys you in your daily work. Please give the steps that show it and describe clearly how you'd prefer it to work. Please include a description!

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Select and Place tool: not having to confirm the duplication type

The select and place tool's behavior has been modified in 3ds Max 2016, which at least in my case has made it much more non intuitive and difficult to work with, as opposed to the previous version that you could quickly and freely clone objects on a surface, now you are forced to each time confirm the type of the clone through the good old clone modal panel, please at lease add a mode to the select and place's options panel to revert back to the previous behavior which was much faster, right now this feels more like a Samurai…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  UI, usability, learnabiliy  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Modifying the behavior of "Hover Highlight" mode

The hover and selection highlight modes added in 3ds Max 2016 can be definitely useful, but the yellow hover highlight effect can became really distractive and bothersome at times, my suggestion is in the case of hover highlighting, it becomes bound to a modifier key, in this case Ctrl, meaning only when Ctrl is held down the highlights appear, as an extra step, another modifier key, in this case Shift can be implemented, which upon holding down along with the Ctrl key, would 'Add' to the potential selection and the highlight area, sort of like a paint select previewing of…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Viewports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add a "Don't ask me again" Checkbox to the numerous dialogues when opening files

Opening big files takes quite some time. So I'd like to hit "open", get a coffee and have the file opened when I return.

Instead, Max is stuck at "Missing Map Files" or "Units Mismatch" or "Gamma Mismatch" or some other dialogues which I always answer the same.

So it would be nice to have an option to remember the answer and dont' ask again. If you need the dialogue again there should be an appropriate option in preferences to gt it back.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  File Dialogs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Object Painter Select objects list

When working with Object painter, in the selection list, the screen is very small, there is no way to stretch or enlarge like any other window.
    Also you should be able to select several objects in the list at the same time. For instance, you add 20 objects to the lists, then scatter around. Later you only need 10 object from the previews list, you have to delete one by one. Every time you delete an object from this list the selections move to the last object, instead to un-select or move to the next below.
    also the precision of…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. choosing different envelopes without deactivating paint weights

when painting weights, to choose another envelope directly from the viewport, you have to deselect Paint weights tool, and choose the envelope, then choose paint weights again, this is a drag and we should be able to pick new envelopes without deactivating and reactivating again

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  General UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Autoback: Increment only from the the latest file

Depending on the project, I tend to have multiple 3ds Max sessions open.
    With all of those sessions having autoback turned on, each of those will overwrite an autoback max file all starting from AutoBackup01.max.

This would lead to a problem where I may have a main 3ds max session getting it's backup files overwritten by other 3ds max sessions open in the background.

The simplest solution that I think would fix this is to have the autoback detect the latest AutoBackup##.max file and increment from that instead.

Although this might pose a problem in cases where a different version…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Support PNG for Custom UI icons (for macros) rather than bmp

Support PNG for Custom UI icons (for macros) rather than bmp.
    Instead of having to create 2 files (as described here: http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/16/ENU/MAXScript-Help/files/GUID-AF3EADB8-6648-454F-AD7E-59170C4603FE.htm), it would be a lot simpler to simply use PNGs :) Making life a lot easier for people making tools.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. When duplicating object, make default 'Copy' and not 'Instance'

Shift dragging object, brings up dialogue box - this used to be defaulted to 'Copy', but changed a few years ago to 'Instance' for some reason.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Dialogs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Slow documentation

How about documentation that actually loads a page you are looking for in under 15 minutes? Or documentation that does not crash your machine. Heres a good one, documentation that actually has links that work or take you to pages that are actually to do with what you are looking for. Also, documentation that is available offline so that connection issues do not happen. That would be marvelous.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add Button "Add CreaseSet" into OpenSubdiv

Normally when we use "OpenSubdiv" modifier, you would use "CreaseSet" along with it. It's just a small thing that first time I use Subdiv, I forget the name of modifier to use with it. It would be easier with new user to use it if you have a button "add creaseset modifier" within OpenSubdiv modifier.

And please do sth with TurboSmooth, MeshSmooth, OpenSubdiv as one modifier and let user select type. It's kind of messy if 3dsmax have more modifiers in the future. Just MAKE 3DSMAX LOOK CLEAN.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. distribute

Have a tool able to distribute existing objects evently between the two objects that are furthest apart (photoshop style)

Something like this (but without having to ender a distance value manually)
    http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/distribute-selection

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Improve 3dsmax Feedback Search

Allow using quotes " " during search to filter connected words similar to how Google search works.

This may help to better locate existing topis/suggestions.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Track View Pick Dialog to filter selected objects

Track View Pick Dialog
    (can usually be found in Script Controllers -> Assign Track, Assign Controller, and Assign Node buttons)

Currently the dialog will list all the tracks/nodes, making it difficult to pick objects that are deep within the scene hierarchy.

The feature I'm looking for is similar to the Wire Parameters Dialog -> Refresh Button (Refresh Tree View Content to Selected Node

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Dialogs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. drag and drop maps in arch-design diffuse material slot

I can drag and drop maps into arch design material editor slots - except the main diffuse slot at the top.

I should be able to drag and drop any map into any slot - not have to scroll down into the 'general purpose maps' rollout where it works.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Materials/Maps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Scale all maps uniformly in all material editor slots when using real world mapping coordinates.

If I have a material with multiple maps (bump, normal, displace, reflection etc.) I would like to be able to scale or change their values uniformly across the whole material.

Also, it would be nice to have a ratio lock for maps.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Instance groups

Make groups and their content instance-able.

At the moment, if I group 3 objects, instance the group, go back to group1 and delete 1 object, it doesn't reflect on the other groups.

It would be nice to propagate changes I do within a group to all its instances. Keeping it simple, within the same .max files without the need of saving any external file.

Containers have been Autodesk's answer to this issue until now, but they are over complicated (external .max file), and too unstable to use in production. Same for Xref.. it feels like an overkill to have several…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Save arch & design material as template

When creating custom materials it would be useful to save the material as template so that it is easy to maintain continuity in materials.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Mental ray  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Unwrap freeform should distort shape´s form not only square sacling, distorting the interior of the selection, even with nice bezier corners

When you select the freeform tool in the Edit UVs unwrap editor the selection has only the option to be scaled in a square manner, very basic and old option that doesnt allow to arrange anything to change it's form.

If the corner squares outside the selection box would allow you to distort the shape of the square instead of just scaling the box, it would allow you to do a LOT more, also it would be great to add nice bezier controls for the outside box, and even more, to add the option to add more subdivisions to the…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Texturing/UV  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Open file dialogue

Please update the Open file and Save file window with Favorites on the side bar, not old style window with useless sidebar. I am always need to copy URL to the project from Explorer if I want go to project, instead of just go through Favorites.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4341444/open_file.jpg

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Zoom about mouse in SME with zoom tool

Currently only the mouse wheel zooms about the mouse pointer. When using a tablet and stylus it would be nice to zoom about the pointer like in the viewport. Thanks (max 2016)

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 34 35
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base