Small Feature Requests

PURPOSE
This forum is about all the little annoying quirks and problems in 3ds Max that you might have gotten used to over the years but that might benefit from a second look.

Remember, keep these ideas to tweaks of the workflow rather than large, sweeping changes to the tools. Try to imagine how much effort a programmer has to go into in order to implement your suggestion. Anything requiring major UI changes or new UI dialogs will need to go in another forum.

Feature ideas considered too big will simply be moved to the General Feature Requests forum; suggestions for new defaults should go into the Default Settings forum.

Add your vote to any idea if you also think this is an annoying behavior that needs to be fixed.

HOW TO USE THE FORUM
- Each user has 20 votes for each forum
- Each idea can have no more than 3 votes by a single user
- If you enter an idea, it will cost you 1 vote – therefore try to make sure the idea doesn’t already exist
- The more precise and detailed a description you give, the more likely your idea will rise higher in the list
- When an idea is implemented, votes are returned to all the users that voted
- User can change their votes at any time
- Admins can move, edit and delete ideas as they see fit to better meet the goals of the forum
- We will flag ideas that are getting our attention as “under review”. Because of limits on what we can say publicly, that is as far as we can go with commenting on a particular idea. If it is “under review” it simply means we’re studying it for possible implementation or gathering data, but there is no commitment to do it.

Remember, we do not release versions on “internet time”. Unlike the web sites this was designed for, our process of releasing functionality is much longer term. So there won’t be a constant churn of ideas being “closed out” by us and votes returned to you. For this tool to map to our process, we will be looking at the data during a short period of the year (3-6 months) and deciding what actions to take after that. Don’t expect to post an idea and a month later for us to respond in some fashion to it. The most likely scenario is that you’ll post an idea and if a lot of other people vote on it, we’ll eventually flag it as “under review” – but that could be 9 months later or longer.

Please treat this as an experiment in working with the community. Even if Uservoice is not the final home for this, we’ll do our best to export all the ideas to whatever future system might take its place. Your voice will persist.

Note: It’s important to realize that these lists are simply raising the quality of the feedback we get from the community. They are not a replacement for how we define the features for any given release. They are valuable input, but beta input, product strategy, focus, innovation and other factors are also important aspects we consider.

BUGS
Please report them here:
http://www.autodesk.com/3dsmax-DefectSubmission

AVAILABLE PUBLIC FORUMS
Default Settings
Please tell us which user defaults settings you change the most! Enter a description of the default or ini setting and then see how the community votes on it. Remember these are only the user preferences you can either set in the interface or ini files.

General Feature Requests
Please help us collect ideas for new features and general product enhancements. What’s on your top ten list? Add a vote to any idea you also think is important!

Small Annoying Things
This forum is about all the little annoying quirks and problems in 3ds Max that you might have gotten used to over the years but that really should be fixed.
Remember, keep these ideas to tweaks of the workflow rather than large, sweeping changes to the tools. Try to imagine how much effort a programmer has to go into in order to implement your suggestion. Anything requiring major UI changes or new UI dialogs will need to go in another forum.

SDK/Scripting Enhancements
This forum is about improvements to the SDK or Script-related.

Describe a small opportunities in 3ds Max that annoys you in your daily work. Please give the steps that show it and describe clearly how you'd prefer it to work. Please include a description!

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can vote and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can vote on it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  1. Hair and Fur, regular distribution please and correct the randomness

Can we, please have a uniform generation mode like in hairfarm and ornatrix for the hair instead of the default random (which is only good for grass) and also, the random scale is broken, you need to check the images link below to understand well what I mean.

http://i.imgur.com/e0E33l6.jpg

and there

http://i.imgur.com/7TbCl7h.jpg

Let me know if you can do it please, with those little changes, I will be able to do super realistic haircut :)

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Particles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. The main button window menus dissapear

When you press the big button in the top left corner, the menus appear briefly and then dissapear and i cant click open or import or export. I have to race with the cursor to do it. And this happens in e 4th consecutive version of 3ds max.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI, usability, learnabiliy  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. "key set filter" update

more detailed setup possibility for "key set filter"

a dialog where you can add tracks, on which you can (you want) create keys

add tracks explicitly, and save this setups as named selection sets

a dialog which then will display all saved selection sets, and a check box in front of them,_ and by checking on check box will mean that key will be created on the "named selection sets" tracks, when you will click on "set keys" button

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Animation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Composite map should use full material editor height

Add a Composite map to any map slot. Click the + button to add additional layers. When I reach a total of 6 layers a scroll bar appears on the right. Just below the six layers is a huge grey area of unused screen estate inside the material editor. This is silly.

Please make the Composite map use the entire vertical space and only add the scroll bar when needed.

I'm still on max 2014 - so if this have been fixed in 2015, please let me know.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Materials/Maps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. key based animation playback

play animation only for existing keys, like when you use step keys, but it easier to have a button for doing it, and not change your key transition animation, by changing key type into step key

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Biped - copy/paste "range"

You can copy/paste a posture, pose, and a track, but when choosing track, you should be able to copy only the selected keys in the timeline, if any keys are selected. And when you press paste, it will paste the selected keys from the frame you are in.

You might think, why not just select a bunch of keys, and just shift-drag them in the timeline? well, using the copy/paste buttons, you can suddenly paste a bunch of keys into another bipeds tracks.

Suddenly you can also save track selections, and actually be able to paste them into another animation,…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Space Align tool revamping

Space Align tool needs to be seriously reinnovated, the current Space Align tool is good for simple things however even then it fails to work properly under certain circumstances. It either makes 3DS Max work work really slowly (unresponsive) and sometimes it won't give desired results no matter how hard you tweak it. Even when resetting transform and adjust pivots correctly it still behaves unexpectedly. Space Align should be given more power and modularity as Rail Clone. Rail Clone is an extremely useful tool and very powerful however it's a very expensive tool not everyone can afford. 3DS Max should…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Vray sun (and lights) should appear as perfect as mental ray lights in Nitrous (real time-saver)

Precise shadows of mental ray sun with Nitrous are a real time saver to discuss about a scene lightning. It would be great to have the equivalent for Vray

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Viewports  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Automatically determine cursor location for scroll wheel

As in having the program notice when the mouse pointer is over the Command Panel and having the ability to scroll through the different available options of the panel, rather than having to click on the control panel to scroll. I feel that this would increase the ease of use and increase the ease of user workflow.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  General UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Autosave when switching to another app

Many times after going back to max window, autosave start after first click and freeze max for a while especially on huge scenes.

Idea is to 3DS Max will detect that you switching to different app (ie. look for references, PS or just facebook...) and run autosave in this time. That could save some time an nerves ,)

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  UI, usability, learnabiliy  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Crease Set Modifier: "Get Stack Selection" button

Crease set modifier should have an option for getting the selection from the stack so we are not limited to the selection methods available in it.

PS:I wish you'd create a universal Selection system like the Group Op/system in Houdini, would be so useful.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Thumbnails in .max files

Please improve .max's thumbnails. Max should write in .max files viewport's thumbnail in 256x256 pixels - Windows explorer "Extra Large Icon" size. That allow us easy find what .max file contains.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  General UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. DirectX Shaders should work like other Materials in Slate and allow the map nodes to be input with bitmaps and other controllers.

So this has annoyed me for a few years now. You cannot drag a bitmap node in Slate to a texture map in a DirectX Shader material. You should be able to input any type of relevant node into the target property of a DX shader.

Instead of dragging a Bitmap output to the DirectX texture buttons or Inputs, you have to open your bitmap, right-click the bitmap path, click copy, go back to your DirectX Shader, find the texture button again, right-click it and hit paste.

This is inefficient.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Materials/Maps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Sound levels drop after frame 100 in ProSound

When loading a sound into ProSound, the first 100 frames play back louder than the remaining frames. Moving the sound start frame to 100 is a workaround, as is keyframing the sound level to double at frame 100, but obviously neither are optimal.

This has been an issue from at least 2010 through 2014, though I have yet to try 2015 to see if the problem persists.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  [admin: Bug]  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Disable attaching of frozen objects (2015)

In version 2015 it is possible to attach frozen objects and splines. This wasn't possible in previous versions. This is not a good workflow and I don't understand why it was changed and here is why.

For example I work with imported dwg drawings which I group and freeze so I can work from them, snap on them, etc. But now when I need to attach something I can accidentally attach the frozen plans to my newly created objects. They are frozen for a reason after all, I do not want to interact with them in any way except for…

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  [admin: Bug]  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Add "Open on Render" to Render Message window

I like to have the Render Message window always open while rendering. So it would be helpfull to have a checkbox like "Open on Render" somewhere. Maybe beside the "Open on Error" checkox?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Rendering  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Render Setup Window , View drop down menu (Quad 4 Camer....) why it is so small

on the lower left corner of the Render window menu where the View drop down menu , it's not showing the full description of the viewport , so every time I need to know which camera I am rendering , I have to open it to see the full name of the camera .....why .......why....

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. pflow: option to hide navigation overlay

Allow user to hide navigation overlay in pflow in upper right corner. Option to remove grid.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Particles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. selecting shapes over a frozen object is almost impossible

in 3dsmax design 2015 if you have a frozen object and your drawing shapes over top of it its almost impossible to select shapes that are over the image but instantly selected if clicking the part of the same shape that is past the edge of the frozen object. this problem is only with shapes and not 3d objects. frozen objects should not affect selecting unfrozen objects at anytime.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  [admin: Bug]  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. 'hide selected' issue

'Hide selected' issue in face mode- the element (Not the object)

Imagine working on an environment with 20 other artists and one artist decides to hide a face, or an entire object but selecting the faces, and then saves the file.

The next artist has no way of ever knowing there is an object hidden within the file.

This is VERY common and causes issues all the time.

Could there be an 'un-hide all' button to unhide all?, including hidden faces, or at least the 'hide selected' button (in the element) can turn red if it's been used and artist…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Modeling  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1 3 4 5 31 32
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base